Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring Has Sprung

Some great days for the beginning of spring but some cool weather to come over the next week.  Hopefully not too far below 40 because our Saucer Magnolias are in full bloom by the main road.

In the Echo Brief yesterday, you were introduced to our new horticulturist, Becky Edwards.  I believe Becky will be an outstanding addition to our program  here at Glen Echo.  I've already ordered plants in for the season so Becky is a little stuck with what I purchased(But I think I picked some pretty good plants).  She will be supplementing our purchases with some additional material that she needs for the season. 

Special attention will be placed around the clubhouse to improve some tired areas.  We are currently evaluating a number of areas for improvement and updating.  In not neglecting the course planting beds, I've asked her to focus on the tee side of #9 to improve that once fully flowered area all the way to the red tee.  Our planters will be an area of focus as well that I have asked her to address.  No doubt that some improvement is needed.  I already started this with some early season color from pansies, cyclamen, viola, and a couple of other plants.  Becky helped finish off the rest of the planters on her first couple of days on site. 

We worked tirelessly over the last couple of years to bring you a good ornamental program but time on the course took away from our efforts as well as some knowledge gap.  Now, with a trained person like Becky to focus on this area 100% of the time, I believe this program will be drastically improved.  I will bring Becky into the ladies luncheon for a quick introduction. 

She will also be making a regular appearance on the blog to discuss our program, talk about plant material and give some tips for your home landscapes. 

No comments: