Sunday, August 18, 2013

My 5th year anniversary, on with the next 5 years!

Today marks the 5 year anniversary of my arrival at Glen Echo CC.  My how time flies when you are having fun! Our membership has been very supportive with your hard earned money and your expression of appreciation for the work we've accomplished which is sometimes not very willingly given in our line of work.  You have welcomed my family(Beth and Lady) to the club for events and activities which I appreciate.  Being the wife of a golf course superintendent is not easy with the amount of commitment that it takes keeping the course in great condition.  Early mornings, late evenings and multiple weeks in row without days off can strain one's patience but she has given me a great deal of support through it all!

The work that is accomplished on a daily basis is done so by a dedicated group of men and women who work 6, 7, sometimes 12 to 13 days in a row to provide the great conditions that you and your guests see on a regular basis at our great club.  Without their efforts, I'm a man on a island without a boat or a paddle.

Thanks to two very talented and dedicated managers who give great effort to this club and have been supportive of my work, Rob and Mary.  Also, cannot forget the remaining group of clubhouse and pro shop staff's that help in providing service to you at this special place called Glen Echo!

There is a great deal we have accomplished over the years I've been here.  Rebuilt tees, bunkers and improved overall conditions while reducing expenses.  I've been placed in an important role of responsibility in sustaining this beautiful property both environmentally and on the business side as the club industry and golf in general has flattened in its ability to grow.  

We still have a great deal to accomplish over the next few years.  I have a laundry list of projects which are needed to help improve the infrastructure of our property and will leave the property in a better place then when I arrived for the next man/woman.  Lake expansion/dredging, tee construction, electrical supply for fans, fans for greens that are tucked in the corners of the property, and greens drainage are just a few of projects.  Cart path/roadway replacement will be necessary in time as will equipment replacement which will need to start occurring over the next few seasons.

It is pretty easy to work long hours when you love what you do and are provided the support and shown the appreciation that our membership has over the last 5 years.  Our course continues to improve and I look forward to the next 5 years with the same energy and enthusiasm as when I arrived back in 2008!

No comments: