Friday, March 6, 2015

Got Bees, Getting Bees

Over the past few years, there has been a movement to set up bee hives on golf courses. From year to year, you've seen pictures I've displayed of swarms forming on the grounds as they prepare to follow there queen to a nest. I've recently joined the Eastern Missouri Beekeepers Association and intend to manage a hive or two here at Glen Echo this season.  I'm still trying to determine a good spot for the hive but believe the no mow area I started to the right of #11/#12 would be a good location. Out of the way and not near any play. It will be close to a water source and out in the middle of the property so the bees can disperse to all parts to find nectar and bring it back to the hive.

Yes, my father started this work in the 80's and loved tending to his bees. My brother Delmar did some work as well with hives so I will utilize his expertise as well as a mentor from The Eastern Missouri Beekeepers Association . I would expect to have some honey at the end of the season for the Chef to use for your enjoyment.  Be on the lookout over the next couple months regarding information about another exciting adventure I will have on the grounds at Glen Echo CC.

No comments: