Monday, January 16, 2017

Dr. King "Why Do You Care"

I've never posted on Dr. King's Day. I've thought about the man over the years and respected his work.  The movement that helped to transform our country over the last 50-60 years was so important and necessary.

I remember being in 4th grade and outside playing that evening when Dr. King was killed. I was out playing with a neighborhood friend in Desoto where we lived. I came in and saw the news and I think my comment was something like that is terrible, or bad, along those lines. My friend said to me
                           
                                      " Why do you care" 

Why did I care? I guess I was 11 at the time and was a current affairs geek. I was raised in a family of inclusion and equality. My parents went to high school in a small town that was known not to have African American people living within its limits in Southeast Missouri but you would have never known that from my upbringing. Never heard the stereo typical derogatory names used around my family. I think if I would of used those words I would have gotten my butt whooped good. I grew up around African American coaches and athletes which my dad worked with and coached and taught along side. We became friends, we became brothers when my parents became guardian for a young man when I was in Junior High School. We were teammates during my athletic years where we shared the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. We broke bread together, we partied together, we chased girls together, we did everything together.

When I started working I became responsible to parents and their kids who rode my buses, teachers/principals at schools who I worked with as well as colleagues/employees and upper management individuals who I reported.

Of course in the golf business I have customers, peers, vendors, staff and now members from many backgrounds and faiths, everyone deserves equal respect and treatment no matter what your place in society.

We have come a long way but still have a long way to go.


No comments: