A little sampling of what has taken place on the course over the last 12 months in the lead up to this event.
- Over 20,000 hrs of labor have been used to maintain the property.
- Over 9,000 acres of grass has been mowed.
- All surfaces have been aerated with greens 6 times.
- At least 6,000,000 steps have been taken to walk mow greens.
- 90 yards of mulch spread.
- Over 8,000 gals of fuel with almost equal amounts of Diesel and Unleaded.
- Almost 200 tons of sand have been used on greens and tee surfaces.
- Over 4,000 plants grown in greenhouse.
- A dizzying number of circles have been made around trees keeping them trimmed.
- Over 3,500 holes have been made and moved on our greens changing hole locations during the year.
- 229 blogs posted.
The weather over the last few days is hampering our efforts to provide a completely mowed and trimmed property. I'm hoping the soil has drained enough by maybe Wednesday evening or Thursday so we can do more than just cut and roll greens which is all the mowing that we've accomplished
The turf's growth has slowed a little with the lack of sunshine which is helping us. Luckily, I have not applied the light rough fertilization that I normally apply in June..
Trashing the turf with mud trails everywhere will not occur for the sake of mowing. No doubt we want the best conditions possible but not at the expense of large scale damage which we would then have to face for the rest of the season.
You can be assured we will work in the dark overnight if the course has dried enough to allow for mowing.