Assistant Mike made our first bermuda grass eradication spray of our fairways on Friday. As you might remember, we have 4 fairways(4, parts of 7, 8 and all of 13) in our program. We have gone from full fairway applications to spot applications to help reduce the negative impacts on the zoysia. Our sprays are made going into dormancy in the fall and coming out of dormancy in the spring which has the best chance to injure the bermuda. The more severely it is injured, the better opportunity for the zoysia to begin to get the upper hand and we rid a majority of the fairways of the bermuda grass.
Last fall, we sprayed an additional acre of spot spraying on all other fairways except #5. We did not spray every spot of bermuda but enough to use one acre of spray. This spring, we spot sprayed 2 acres of product on 4, 7, 8, and 13. We sprayed another 3 acres over the remaining 11 fairways which increases our total acreage sprayed to about 5 acres. We have 26 total acres of fairway.
Our plan as usual is to make the first application and then make a second application around May 10th. We will evaluate the effects the first spray made and get a good idea of how much zoysia is actually present in some of the bermuda areas. As we did last season, we will replace the worst spots of #4,7,8, 13 with zoysia sod from our nursery. I don't think we have enough spray applications on other fairways that might warrant sod replacement but we will evaluate that situation as we move closer to the end of spring/beginning of summer. As mentioned in last seasons postings regarding our program, there are some patches of bermuda that are just too large for us to completely kill all at once because of the cost to to replace the sod. We will attempt to injure some of these areas to allow the zoysia to continue to move into the area.